Saturday, October 8, 2011

Day 2 - Saturday, October 8, 2011

Per usual when we are on vacation, we tend to sleep later than usual but today we were up by 7:30 and yes, that is early for us on vaca, but we did go to bed early last night so I guess it is expected. Also as usual, we have our coffee and make some breakfast, scrambled eggs, bacon and toast. I let Dave cook since I am trying to plan our day, plus I will have to do the cleaning.
Today we decide to go to Playa Zoni which is a quieter beach as we really just want to hang out and unwind. It is the perfect place for that. The beach is quite long and while a bit narrow we find the perfect spot that allows us to put our things in the shade while we can lay out in the sun.
The beach faces the ocean side so it is a bit windy which is welcome in the Caribbean heat and it also has lots of waves. The water is beautiful shades of blue and we get in immediately to find it is also very warm. The waves are continuous and at times quite high and we have fun jumping over, into and under them, that's always fun no matter how old you are.
We hang out on the beach watching a few crabs go about their business of digging holes and looking for food. I decide to check out the snorkeling. It appears there is a reef to the far right of the beach so I head while Dave waits for me to see if it is any good, once again, leaving me to do all the work. Well I head and the reef is pretty good. At first it is deceiving because the first few pieces of coral are very sandy and it is harder to see them. There are a few little fish around this coral but nothing much but once I get past this initial reef, there is a bigger healthier reef with lots of big fans, brain coral, and a decent number of fish too. I alert Dave so that he can join me and we spend a bit of time hovering over this nice piece of reef. Dave tells me later he say a small ray that was really fast and just skitted across the bottom. We spend most of the afternoon just swimming, walking and sitting around on the beach.
When we leave we decide to ride around the island to get our bearings - the town area is still confusing but we'll get it by week's end. We stop at El Batey in hopes of getting one of their famous burgers but it seems that either the person in charge didn't pace a food order or it didn't come and the place was out of a lot of things. So, we had a couple of beers and some chicken wings and decided and early diner would have to do and headed back to the rental for a bit more relaxation.
Not sure yet what we'll do tomorrow but I'm sure we'll have a great time.

No comments:

Post a Comment